6.29.2014

Frittata: Two Ways


Whenever I am feeling overwhelmed by the veggies in the box, I make a frittata.  It's my go-to for any meal and I use up whatever I have on hand.  I abandoned the quiche in our regular rotation, in favor of this because it is so much easier and quicker.  Now I save the quiche for a special occasion.

For this frittata, I cooked up a couple of strips of bacon that I had chopped into small pieces in my cast iron skillet.  When the bacon was done, I took the meat from the pan, and added one small, diced onion to the bacon fat, and cooked it until it was soft.  I then added the stems from a bunch of swiss chard and cooked those down.  Next came the chopped swiss chard leaves.  While those were cooking down I beat 9 eggs with about 1/4 cup of milk.  I stirred in about 3/4 cup of shredded cheese.  I had Jarlsberg on hand, so I used that.  Then I poured the cheese and egg mixture over the veggies, stirring a bit to mix things.  I sprinkled the cooked bacon back on top and then popped the whole thing in a 325 degree oven for about 20-30 minutes until it was cooked through and getting golden brown on top.
                                            

For a quick breakfast frittata, I threw some spinach and green onions in a small omelet pan with a bit of olive oil.  I added some halved cherry tomatoes and two eggs, lightly beaten, salt and pepper.  No cheese this time.  A quick 10-15 minutes in the oven and it's done.  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment